Thursday 25 October 2012

Diaper Pails

For those of you who are planning on using disposable diapers, there are many diaper pail options out there in the market such as the Diaper Genie, Diaper Champ, and Diaper Dekor just to name a few. Of course, you can use a plain pail with lid or even your regular trash can.

Personally, I really like the Diaper Champ. I used it with my son and still have it. I am planning on getting the pink one for downstairs. I'm hoping to find the original model and not the newer "deluxe" model because I read that the newer model is slightly smaller. The main reason for loving the Diaper Champ is the fact that you can use regular garbage bags (or any other bags really) and do not need to buy refill bags (that cost more than garbage bags), which is the case for the Diaper Genie.

I also read some reviews stating that the smell is still there. I don't know any diaper pail, no matter what is being claimed, that eliminates the smell from dirty diapers that have been sitting there for some time. When you leave any pee or poop diapers too long in any container, it will eventually stink. I usually place the pee diapers in the Diaper Champ and poop diapers in the regular kitchen trash, knowing I will discard it into the outside trash can later in the evening.

At the end of the day, it is all about your time, energy, and tolerance for smells. If you have the time and energy to empty your diaper pail or kitchen garbage on a nightly basis then great. If you have a low tolerance for pee and poop smells then it's wise to empty your diaper pail or kitchen garbage more frequently. For me, it really made sense to go with a diaper pail that I could use regular or my own bags versus buying refills that cost more than regular garbage bags. You will spend enough on diapers, diaper wipes, and formula.

Too bad I cannot take my Diaper Champ with me to India for baby pick-up! By the way, don't forget to bring your own garbage bags to India for baby pick-up. I can't speak for other places but the Svelte has no bags in their garbage bins. You'll want those dirty diapers in bags to ensure your garbage bins stay as clean and odour-free as possible.

Thank you for letting me share this part of my world with you!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip. I was considering buying one of these but wasn't sure which one to buy. I'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're most welcome! I know everyone will have their own preference but I hope sharing some of my experiences will help others make the right decision for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wont buy one, I will just take out outside to the trash bin as soon and the diaper is full from my kid. I just think its one more expenses, that I dont need. A perfect fix is all those unused bags from walmart and targrt you bring home from shopping, put you poop diaper in there and out the door it goes, i have a trash can full of these bags and now they will have there use. Once my chld reachs 6 months I will use cloth diapers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you have a good plan that works best for you, Michael! Great way to use those unused plastic bags too. Cloth diaper services are also getting more affordable these days and of course, great for the environment!

      Delete