Sunday 29 July 2012

The Word "Chindian"

Chindian can refer to any fusion of two elements or entities that are Chinese and Indian. For example, this can include cuisine and fashion. For the context of my blog, Chindian is an informal term used to refer to a person of Chinese and Indian ancestry.

I am Canadian - been living in Canada since the age of 3 - and I am of Chinese ancestry. I have decided to go with an Indian egg donor so any child or children resulting from this journey will be Chindians. It will be important to me that all my children, no matter their racial make-up, are exposed to various cultures.

In the end, if asked, I will refer to all my children as bi-racial. I have no desire to explain the specifics of my children's ancestries and heritages because I do not feel it is anyone's business to know. I also don't think it's anyone's business to know if they are genetically full siblings or not. They are full siblings because we are a family based on love and support - not blood and genetics. So I consider this a rude question unless I so desire to share that piece of information. After saying that, I would have no problems sharing that information with intended parents pursuing surrogacy - I personally believe and feel there is an invisible but present link to others fulfilling their parenthood and family-growing dreams via surrogacy.

Thank you for letting me share this part of my world with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment