Tuesday 31 July 2012

One or Two?

There is an option of implanting two surrogates at the same time instead of just one. Of course, it’s an additional cost if both do get and remain pregnant. Plus you can end up with multiples – a blessing for some and a handful for others. You do have the option of reducing each pregnancy by one but that is not an easy decision or one that some believe in. All these factors must be considered.

Based on the number of embryos they implant, pregnancy rate, and live birth rate, I am leaning towards implanting one surrogate but there is no guarantee that it will work. Nor is there a guarantee if two surrogates are implanted; however, my chances of success would be higher.

So why am I even considering two surrogates when I have a baby already in the surrogacy oven? I ask myself that question sometimes. As mentioned, a minimum of three children would complete my family and with me taking a full year off in 2013, I’m a bit concerned that taking another year-long break for a third baby down the road may hinder my progress with my career. Career is important to me not because of status – it’s more about a higher salary that can allow me to continue to provide a comfortable life for my children as well as their futures.

So if I can have this third child soon after my second, I can take the time off in one fell swoop.  If all goes well with the first transfer, the babies will only be 4 months apart. This would be perfect timing but I have learned that life doesn’t always work out the way we want it to. I think the best decision for me would be one surrogate but I can only say that with 99% confidence at this time. Stay tuned!

Thank you for letting me share this part of my world with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment