Sunday 29 July 2012

Why It Works

Why does single parenting work so well for me? Firstly, I can honestly say, with every ounce of my being, I enjoy being a parent more than anything else on this Earth. People sometimes ask me if it’s difficult being a single parent but when you’ve never had someone else to lean on, you just make it work and work well. I can’t miss what I never had. Secondly, I feel parenthood comes very naturally to me although I'm not perfect. I know that sounds arrogant but I wish I could be a full-time stay-at-home parent – no other job or business on the side. However, until I win the lottery, I will have to settle for being a most-of-the-time, stay-at-home parent.

For other singles out there thinking about pursuing parenthood, I believe the following additional factors contribute to living a stress-free life as a single parent:

  • Have a reliable support network
  • Enjoy being at home and do not feel trapped when home all day
  • Enjoy spending time by yourself and do not crave adult interaction after work
  • Are emotionally strong and stable, plus financially responsible
  • Possess a positive outlook on life and are extremely patient
  • Are resourceful, problem-focused, and solution-oriented
  • Are resilient and do not sweat the small stuff
  • Are an efficient planner, organizer, and manager of time
  • Are independent but know your limits and when to ask for assistance

One other important factor that you don't have much control over is your child. My son was a great baby and toddler, and wonderful preschooler. Of course, if he was more challenging, I would still love him as much but I wonder if my desire to have more kids would have been impacted. Anyway, it's a moot point now - I look forward to the future with an open mind and heart.

Thank you for letting me share this part of my world with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment