Wednesday 26 September 2012

Gender Surprise

I thought I would share an ultrasound photo of my daughter aka baby #2 on home soil. She is stretching her leg out - very cute. At the time of this post, we are at 21w4d - this ultrasound was taken at 17w6d. This was a private ultrasound with both 2D and 3D photos - I decided not to do 4D at that time. I plan on doing another private ultrasound session between 29 and 30 weeks.

Given who I am, I will always take the opportunity to find out a baby's gender without hesitation. Not that I care about the gender - healthy baby first - but it helps with some planning and organizing, and it's just nice to know. After saying that, I do like the fact that with SCI, I will not find out the gender until birth - a gender surprise. Very few surprises in life so I embrace it. I cannot wait for my second attempt!

On a side note, I learned something new today. For my son, I was told, "You're having a boy!" and with this second pregnancy, I was told, "You're having a girl!" Today, I learned that some doctors or ultrasound technicians say, "You're having a hotdog!" and "You're having a hamburger!" I thought these were funny metaphors! LOL!

Thank you for letting me share this part of my world with you!

4 comments:

  1. How did you organise the private ultra sound to find out the gender? We are at 23 weeks and its killing my wife.
    Aussie Pete

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my baby #2 on the way "on home soil" so here in Canada, there are private companies that offer ultrasound services. Some require you to wait until 20 weeks while others allow you to do it earlier. In India, I believe gender ultrasounds are not allowed. Congrats on your baby! It's tough but I think finding the baby's gender at birth is a wonderful surprise. After saying that, if I have the opportunity to find out a baby's gender, I would take it every time! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you share more about surrogacy in Canada?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In brief, surrogacy in Canada is legal (except in the Province of Quebec I believe); however, compensated surrogacy is illegal. This means you can only reimburse the surrogate for reasonable expenses. Both traditional and gestational surrogacy is allowed. There are many clinics in Canada that do gestational surrogacy - many want a copy of your contract. Lawyers assist with contracts and the declaration of parentage. Feel free to contact me with any specific questions about surrogacy in Canada.

      Delete