Sunday 19 August 2012

Places to Visit

Not much to report at this time. I should be receiving an update tomorrow - I'm hoping to hear that my egg donor is clear for stimulation. Crossing fingers! In the meantime, I've been thinking about the places in Delhi that may want to visit given that I have a day or so of free time. Recently, I asked a friend (who has visited Delhi three times) what historical/architectural sites he would recommend within the city limits. I'm not sure if I will visit the Taj Mahal during my first stay in Delhi - I rather spend the four-hour bus ride (one way) sightseeing within the city limits. I also hear that some hotels offer a driver for a fee, which I most likely would take up if I do decide to visit the Taj Mahal in the future.

The top five places my friend recommends, in no particular order, are listed below. As an avid photographer, he says that the Tomb of Humayun, Red Fort, and Akshardham provide good photo opportunities.

  • Tomb of Humayun - the tomb of the Mughal Emperor Humayun
  • Red Fort - a 17th century fort complex constructed by the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan
  • Raj Ghat - a memorial to Mahatma Gandhi
  • Jama Masjid - the principal mosque of Old Delhi
  • Akshardham - a Hindu complex in Delhi

Although always promoted, the three sites that he suggests I pass on if I run out of time are the Lotus Temple, India Gate, and Qutub Minar. In the end, I would also be very happy hanging out at the mall next to my hotel and a nearby market. It just depends if I meet anyone there - I'm not very adventurous when I travel on my own.

Thank you for letting me share this part of my world with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment